Many people assume that good mental health means being free from a mental illness. Yes, this is true as well, but it doesn’t encompass the entire meaning. Good mental health is a state of well-being in which you feel good and perform well.
Table of Contents
Mental Health Key-points
An individual is said to have good mental health if he or she can:
· Cope effectively with daily stresses
· Perform tasks efficiently
· Perform to their full potential
· Contribute positively to the community
· Confidently face new situations or people
· Remain mostly optimistic
· Avoid blaming themselves for every minor thing that goes wrong
· Set and achieve goals
· Mostly feel good about themselves
· Maintain self-esteem
Why is Maintaining Mental Health a Necessity?
Maintaining mental, or emotional, health is an aspect that is often ignored. Just as sustaining physical health and fitness keeps our muscles and bones strong, mental fitness keeps our mind and soul healthy and sharp. Emotional or mental health is a vital feature of life and affects our thoughts and behaviours. Being healthy mentally and emotionally promotes productivity and efficiency in activities such as work and school. It also plays an important role in sustaining the health of our relationships and allows us to adapt swiftly to changes in life and cope with hardships.
Good mental health allows you to experience and promote feelings of joy, love, compassion and empathy, and a general sense of contentment and satisfaction. Mentally healthy individuals also report having a sense of spiritual tranquillity; feelings of being connected with a higher power, a sense of purpose and meaning, and feelings of transcendence and inner calm.
When a person is mentally productive, they tend to enjoy their life, environment and the company of loved ones even more. They become more attentive and creative and are willing to try new and different things and take risks.
Mentally healthy individuals can also cope better with personal and professional stresses. They tend to handle and deal with feelings of loss, anger, sadness and anxiety far better than people who are mentally preoccupied or strained.
Most importantly, fostering our mental health helps keep mental health problems at bay. In certain cases, mental well-being can help stop the onset or relapse of a chronic physiological or mental illnesses. For instance, managing mental health is associated with reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, and in some cases, even cancer.
How Can We Maintain Mental Health?
Apart from certain things beyond our control, there are ways to sustain positive mental health. Some of them are:
· Diet: A healthy diet, such as foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids (fish, eggs, butter) positively affect mood.
· Exercise: Experts always focus on the importance of exercise for maintaining physical and mental health. Meditation, yoga, cycling, or even a simple walk in the park can do wonders.
· Mental Challenges: Solving puzzles, doing crosswords, and playing challenging games help keep the mind active and engaged, and prevent it from developing negativity.
· Address Mental Health Issues: If you feel you have a mental health problem, never shy away from sharing with loved ones or seeking professional help. Timely recognition and treatment is the key to successful management and prompt recovery from various mental health issues.
The best thing you can do to maintain your mental health is to seek immediate help when you feel you might have a problem. Services, such as those offered by Happiness Coach, can be truly life-saving for people with severe problems.
If you or someone you know is in need of help, visit our website today for information on the life coaching and positive healing services we provide.